Do you like trackitt?
  • jQuery News Ticker now has support for multiple tickers per page!
  • jQuery News Ticker now has support for right-to-left languages!
  • jQuery News Ticker now has support for loading content via an RSS feed!
  • jQuery News Ticker now has an optional fade effect between items!
  • New updates have been made to jQuery News Ticker! Check below for more details!
  • jQuery News Ticker is now compatible with jQuery 1.3.2! See below for further details and for latest download.
  • Further updates to jQuery News Ticker are coming soon!
Back to Forum

Discuss OPT case

OPT case: Approved in 92 days (20 days more than average)  (Report this case)
User: teja1 Nationality: India
Job Offer in Hand While Applying?:yesService Center:Potomac
Application Filed:15 Nov 2017Processing Type:regular
USCIS Received Date:15 Nov 2017RFE Received?:no
RFE Received Date:Reason for RFE:
RFE Replied Date:Application Status:approved
Approval/Denial Date:15 Feb 2018Card Ordered Date:
EAD Received:10 Apr 2018Total Processing Time:92 days
Days Elapsed:University:
Case Added to Tracker: 11 Jan 2018 Last Updated: 10 Apr 2018
Notes: OPT Extension. My receipt number: YSC1890043*** phone SR 1/31(12 pm CST). online SR and Ombudsman request 2/14.Expedite request 2/16 and got response 'approved' but online status did not update.
Watch this case
Users currently watching this case: amtr2546, teja1, btran, Mouktik, lp12, BalajiReddy, worldhello
46 Comments
 Posted by amtr2546 on 31 Jan 2018
Just now I also raised an SR via eSR request. My application is also for OPT-STEM extension.

REceipt number:YSC1890045***
 Posted by teja1 on 31 Jan 2018
Cool. Have you received any confirmation email after submitting the request?
 Posted by amtr2546 on 31 Jan 2018
Yeah I got an email. Saying the same thing when I submitted my request. It says that I will receive a reply before Feb22.
 Posted by teja1 on 08 Feb 2018
Not sure what 'application filed date' is. I only see received date (11/15) and notice date (11/17) on my OPT receipt. Processing time is 90 days from received date. Nothing to do with notice date.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 08 Feb 2018
@ Teja1

Today I received a reply for my SR. Below is the reply.

"Recently, you or your representative contacted USCIS concerning your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to notify us that you believe your case is approaching the committed processing time. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.

Your application is still pending consideration. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) records show your case is in line to be reviewed by an officer. We ask that you allow additional time for this process to take place since we process these cases in the order received."
 Posted by teja1 on 10 Feb 2018
@amtr2546

I received this reply on 2/7.

Your case is currently under review by an officer. You should receive a decision, correspondence or notice of other action within 30 days of the date of this letter".
 Posted by amtr2546 on 10 Feb 2018
I think these are just automated reply. Currently, I saw many approval between 90-100 days. I think we need to wait .
 Posted by teja1 on 12 Feb 2018
@amtr2546

I don't think it's generic for all. It says "under review by officer and within 30 days" for me and "in line to be reviewed by an officer" for you. So, there is surely some difference. We just have to wait for our status change. Good luck.
 Posted by lp12 on 16 Feb 2018
any update?
 Posted by lp12 on 16 Feb 2018
@teja1

any update?
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018
@ lp12 I raised my 2nd SR online on 2/14 and submitted a request to ombudsman's office online on 2/14. No change in status yet. Yours is pending from 102 days! So, I guess you will get it before me.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 16 Feb 2018
@teja1: I guess they put first time OPT as a priority. In OPT extension cases, it may take upto 180 days.
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018
@amtr2546 Agree with you. Also, sorry, you were right about the generic email. I submitted online SR on 2/14 and got the same response.
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018
@lp12

I just got an email from ombudsman's office that ' a decision has been taken on my application'. They're not revealing the decision though. Just have to wait for status change now. Hope this helps.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 16 Feb 2018
@Teja1
I hope this will be an approval. Hopefully, next week they will update your case.
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018
@amtr2546

Sweet. Thank you for saying that. Appreciate it. Hopefully, that's the case. I wish the same for you next week.
 Posted by snk1230 on 16 Feb 2018
@teja1
My application was received by USCIS on 20-Nov-17 and is pending. My grandmother is unwell and I need to travel to India urgently. Not sure if this reason qualifies for "expedite". I'm thinking of raising an Ombudsman request on Monday as it will be past 90 days.
When you submitted the case to Ombudsman, what documents did you provide ? I might ask for a doctor letter from India as supporting documentation. Can you confirm this is the correct link to submit the request - https://cisomb.dhs.gov/oca/form7001.aspx.

Appreciate any help you guys can provide
 Posted by teja1 on 16 Feb 2018
@snk1230

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. It surely qualifies for an expedite request. Please file under category ' extreme emergency situation' and explain the reason on call. You may raise Ombudsman request today as it will be 90 days by the time they see it on Monday. I provided offer letter and I-797C form (OPT receipt). A doctor letter would make your request stronger. So, if you can, include that as well. Yes, that is the correct link. Don't worry, we all are with you. Good luck and hope for the best.

Just FYI, when you submit the Ombudsman request, you won't see your receipt details in the confirmation email body. Don't worry, it's a bug in their email. I didn't want others to have that confusion( whether details went through or not).
 Posted by snk1230 on 18 Feb 2018
@teja1
Submitted Ombudsman request today, with relevant documentation plus a letter from the doctor. Hoping to atleast get online confirmation of approval so i can make travel arrangements. I'm guessing this process takes around 2-3 days. Please update when you get the decision from USCIS
 Posted by amtr2546 on 19 Feb 2018
@snk1230: I hope they will consider your request.
@teja1: Please let us know once you have any update regarding your case. I am also thinking to try Ombudsman route.
 Posted by lp12 on 19 Feb 2018
@teja1

Do let us know about your case status. Wondering if I could also raise ombudsman request...
 Posted by teja1 on 19 Feb 2018
@snk1230: Great. I hope you will hear good news in 2 days. I will let you know when I have an update.

@amtr2546 and @ lp12 : I will surely let you guys know but don't wait for me. Please go ahead and submit Ombudsman request because they said 'decision has been taken in my case and they are closing the matter'. So, they're acting fast and helps. Now the ball is with USCIS. Ombudsman office is doing their job.
 Posted by teja1 on 21 Feb 2018
@lp12 , @snk1230 and @amtr2546 Just received an email for my expedite request raised on 2/16. Approved and sent for card production but online status still says 'case was received'. So, I'd say, please raise expedite request to know the exact status. I'll be around to help. Good luck guys, when the going gets tough, the tough gets going! 'Be tough' is my advice to all those waiting.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 21 Feb 2018
@Teja1: congratulations Man! Finally you are out of indefinite wait time. What was the pro widget to expedite the case?
 Posted by teja1 on 21 Feb 2018
@amtr2546 Thanks, man! You've been very helpful throughout. Appreciate it. Yes, finally. It was approved before I submitted ombudsman request( submitted on 2/14) as ombudsman got back to me on 2/16 saying 'decision has been made by uscis and they won't involve in the matter'. Online status didn't change. Hence the confusion. I can't tell on which day it got approved, so I just put today's date as approved date.
 Posted by BalajiReddy on 22 Feb 2018
Congrats Teja.. How to raise the Expedite request?
 Posted by BalajiReddy on 22 Feb 2018
Congrats Teja.. How to raise the Expedite request?
 Posted by teja1 on 23 Feb 2018
@BalajiReddy Thank you, Balaji. Sorry for the delayed response. Please call National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 and ask that they create an expedite request. You need to give them a criteria among these https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria . You will hear back in approximately 3 -5 business days.
 Posted by lp12 on 17 Mar 2018
@teja -Did you get your card yet?

Under what category did you create a expedite request?
 Posted by teja1 on 18 Mar 2018
@lp12

I did not get my EAD card yet. However, I received OPT approval notice on Feb 20 (approved on Feb 15).

I filed under extreme emergency situation but it did not go through as my petition was already approved (before I filed expedite request). They just did not update online status (even now it says 'case was recevied').
 Posted by amtr2546 on 22 Mar 2018
Any update regarding EAD card?
 Posted by teja1 on 22 Mar 2018
@amtr2546

No update yet. Very worried. Ombudsman replied saying ' This information was shared with the analyst previously assigned to your inquiry'. I guess that's the default message ( I got this when I first contacted them regarding my pending case). Back then, they replied, decision has been taken. When I asked what decision, they replied me the above message.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 22 Mar 2018
This is very strange. never heard of it. I guess just wait for a week or so. As you already have the approval notice then there is no point that they have sent your EAD card to wrong address.
 Posted by teja1 on 22 Mar 2018
It's very surprising and strange. It's been a long wait so far. 127 days since USCIS received date and 35 days since approval. Exactly my point. Since OPT approval notice was received on the correct address, there is no way EAD card could go to a wrong address. Thanks for all your support.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 22 Mar 2018
Try the congressman route. I don't know if it would help you, but there is no harm in trying.
 Posted by teja1 on 22 Mar 2018
Thank you but I tried that earlier before my approval. They didn't even send me a confirmation email or any kind of response from their office. However, I will contact them again.
 Posted by lp12 on 30 Mar 2018
@teja1

Any updates? Did u receive ur card?
 Posted by teja1 on 01 Apr 2018
@lp12

No update. Did not receive my card yet. What about you?
 Posted by lp12 on 02 Apr 2018
I didn't receive
 Posted by teja1 on 03 Apr 2018
@lp12

I called them 4 times but they're just asking me to wait for 30 days. I don't know what to do!
 Posted by lp12 on 03 Apr 2018
@teja1

Whenever I call, they just say wait for 14 days or 30 days or 60 days. For any service request response wait for 30 days. They easily say these but it just frustrates us to keep on waiting without even knowing what is happening? Neither updates nor response for case.

What else options are there for us to get our card other than calling USCIS? Please do share it with me so that I can try as well
 Posted by teja1 on 05 Apr 2018
@lp12

They told me the same thing too! It's sad to hear. I'm eagerly waiting to hear from them too.

Please try booking an appointment through infopass or ask your school DSO to contact them on your behalf.
 Posted by teja1 on 10 Apr 2018
@lp12

Just FYI I received my EAD card on Monday April, 09. Good luck to you. Let me know if I can be of any help.
 Posted by amtr2546 on 10 Apr 2018
@teja: congrats! Finally you got it. Awesome. All the best!
 Posted by lp12 on 11 Apr 2018
@teja

I also received my EAD card yesterday! Congrats to u as well!
 Posted by teja1 on 12 Apr 2018
@amtr2546 Thanks a lot to you and everyone who helped me with lot of valuable information. Yes, finally. You too!

@lp12 Great! Congratulations. Thank you. Good luck.